Building Terms

Building Drawings/ Plans: These drawings are needed to indicate how the structure will be built, including a floor plan showing location of plumbing fixtures, ventilation fans, size and type of heating and cooling equipment, etc. No deferred submittals will be accepted. A completed 2018 Prescriptive Energy Code packet must also be included in each building permit application. Click here to visit the WSU Energy Program website for information and forms to complete the packet.

Site Plan: Show the configuration and size of the lot that the building will be placed on and setback distance from the structure(s) to the property lines so staff can check for encroachments on public utility easements, right-of-way and compliance of the required setbacks. For accurate setback measurement you will need to locate and measure from your property pins. Do not use fences and other such structures as those might give you an inaccurate measurement. Contact the Planning Department for complete set back requirements for property zones. Site plans must be drawn to an acceptable scale.

Managing Stormwater in Selah: On February 16, 2007, the Eastern Washington Phase II Municipal Stormwater Permit came into effect. Selah falls under the ruling of this Phase II NPDES Permit and was required to create specific ordinances pertaining to Stormwater. Ordinance #1799 pertains to the design requirements for new development and for redevelopment, (SMC) 9.23. Ordinance #1800 pertains to the control of sediment and erosion during construction, (SMC) 9.24.

Residential project site plans must include a Stormwater Sediment and Control Plan and show Best Management Practices (BMP’s) that will be used on your construction site for sediment and erosion control. This site plan must be submitted at the time of application with the other building documents. The plan will be reviewed, approved and inspected by the Code and Stormwater Compliance Officer before construction can begin. During the construction phase of your project, regular construction site inspections will be made to ensure the plan is being followed and no sediment/water is being released off site.

NOTE: Any development that is (1) acre or larger will require a Construction Stormwater General Permit through the Department of Ecology and a copy of the permit provided to the City prior to grading or movement of dirt. Visit the Washington State Department of Ecology (DOE) website for requirements and instructions on how to obtain the Construction Stormwater General Permit.

Review and Approval of Drawings/ Plans: All building drawings/plans submitted for permitting purposes are reviewed through an outside consultant. Please see the submittal checklist for estimated review/approval times for plans.  If corrections are requested, (2) sets of corrected plans will be required to be re-submitted for review/compliance with code and additional review time will be needed. The Consultant Review fees will be included in the permit fees and will be due when permits are picked up.

Revisions: Any deviations from the approved plans must have prior approval from the Building Department. All changes must be documented for the record.

Permits and Inspections: No building or structure regulated by this code shall be erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, improved, removed, converted or demolished unless a separate permit for each building or structure has first been obtained from the Building Official. All construction or work for which a permit is required shall be subject to inspection by the Building Official and all such construction or work shall remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes until approved by the Building Official.

For your protection, inspections must be conducted throughout the building, plumbing, and mechanical construction process. (Lines must be placed at property pins at time of setback and footing inspections). After each inspection, the inspector will sign off each appropriate box on the back of the permit, which must be posted at the job site. Call (509) 698-7365 to schedule an inspection.

Contractor Information: Washington State Law, RCW 18.27.110, requires that a contractor license number be on all building permits or work which is to be done by any contractor and that the contractor license number shall be verified. The contractor license number must be on the permit before it can be issued. All contractors working in the City of Selah must be registered to work in the City of Selah prior to issuance of a permit. Click here to register for a City of Selah business license.