Do I need a permit?

Please see below for a list of common household projects that require a permit. If you don’t see your project listed, please call 509-698-7365 and we will be happy to assist you!

  • Re Siding – YES
  • Replacing Windows or Doors –YES
  • Re Roofing – YES 
  • Replacing counter tops or cupboards – NO
  • Replacing/installing any of the following: Toilet, Sink, Tub/shower, Dishwasher, Water Heater – YES
  • Adding or modifying a Furnace or A/C unit – YES
  • Installing Wood/Pellet stove or Gas fireplace –YES
  • Under ground sprinklers – YES
  • Fencing – PLEASE CALL
  • Repairing, Replacing or Alteration of Water Line – YES
  • Demolition of structure – YES
  • Repairing, Replacing or Alteration of Sewer Line – YES
  • Repair, Replace or alteration of Driveway, Curb or Street – YES
  • Painting (exterior or interior) – NO

No Permit is Required for the Projects Listed Below

  • One-story detached accessory buildings used as tool or storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the projected floor area does not exceed: 120 square feet Commercial or 200 square feet Residential. ** Still required to meet standards for lot coverage, set backs, and zoning. Please call for further explanation **
  •  Fences not over 6 feet high (six feet in the side or rear yard area, and to a height not to exceed four feet in the front yard area) ** Still required to meet standards for lot coverage, set backs, and zoning. Please call for further explanation ** Other restrictions apply to corner lots.
  •  Movable cases, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches tall.
  •  Retaining walls, which are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding class I, II or II-A liquids. ** Still required to meet standards for set backs. Please call for further explanation **
  •  Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops and similar finish work.
  •  Window awnings in Group R-3 and U Occupancies, supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  •  Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.
  •  Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and ration of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  •  Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one and two family dwellings.
  •  Decks not exceeding 200 hundred square feet in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.

NOTE: Unless otherwise exempt, separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits will be required for the above-exempt items. Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.

Working without a permit?

You will be required to STOP work and fees will be doubled when a property owner or duly authorized agent has failed to obtain requisite permit approval prior to commencing development or use.
(Ord. 1634 § 178, 2004.) 

What code do I need to follow?

  • 2018 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC)
  • 2018 International Residential Code (IRC)
  • 2018 International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
  • 2018 International Fire Code (IFC)
  • 2018 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)

Typical Foundation/Roof Load Requirements:

  • Minimum Frost Depth – 24 inches
  • Earthquake Zone- 2
  • Seismic Area – C
  • Wind 110 mph, Exposure 2
  • Snow load 30 pounds per square foot

Call before you dig:

Washington State Law requires that before commencing any excavation of 12 inches or more, the excavator shall provide notice of the scheduled commencement of excavation to all owners of underground facilities through a one-number locator service. Failure to do so and which results in damaged utility can be costly to the excavator. Therefore, the one-call number for the Upper Yakima Valley Utilities Locate Center is 1-800-553-4344 or 811. This is a free call and no cost is required for the locate, and a 48 hour notice is required.