Press Release January 17, 2019

The City of Selah and members of the Selah Police Department do not tolerate bigotry. We will continue to push back against those who would commit such acts in this community. We will also continue to handle crimes of this nature with diligence and appropriateness.

We are aware there has been much false information that has been placed on social media. Our investigation is not yet complete. Upon completion, the matter will be sent to the Yakima County Prosecutors Office requesting the appropriate charges be filed.

On the night of 1-12-2019, a fight between two groups of intoxicated people took place in the 100 blk of E. Naches Ave. Both groups of people willingly fought with each other.

Initially, a key person in the investigation told officers he did not wish to provide statements to law enforcement and did not want to be a victim in anyway. We continued to investigate the matter, despite the lack of testimony. It wasn’t until days into the investigation he changed his mind and consented to speak to us. By this time much of the bad information had spread into the community and has created suspicion this was a hate crime. Currently, there is no evidence to support this.

The information placed on social media indicating a victim, was led into an alley and beaten by 6 white males, is false. Surveillance video confirms that did not happen.

We cannot release the video surveillance until the matter is fully investigated and the matter has been forwarded to the prosecutor’s office for final determination.

We would also urge members of the public who independently witnessed this matter, or who may have taken video footage to contact the department.

We are continuing to investigate this matter and will continue to protect the rights of all citizens.

viking color 2



Concealed Pistol License

Concealed Pistol License (CPL) renewals and replacement licenses are done: Monday – Friday from 8am to 5 pm. Originals are done on Thursday from 1pm to 3pm. All CPLs take an average of 30 days to process.

Dog License

In the City of Selah, any dog over the age of six months must be licensed. A one time fee of $25.00 (per dog) will be charged. This fee is good for the life of the dog licensed and we do require proof of vaccination.


Fingerprinting will be done at the Selah Police Department Thursday afternoons, from 1:00 to 3:00 pm. A fee of $10.00 will be charged for one fingerprint card, which must be paid by the person being fingerprinted. If for some reason the card is returned to you as being unreadable, we will re-print you at no charge. Please allow at least thirty minutes to be printed.

Animal Control

The City of Selah has an Animal Control Officer (ACO) who is on shift Mon-Fri. 8am-5pm.   If you need to contact Animal Control please call Dispatch at (509) 574-2500.