Forms & Applications

Our office will be open to the public beginning March 22, 2021, as Yakima County moves into Phase 3.
Masks are required to enter the building!

Permits may be dropped off during normal business hours, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Simple permits can still be e-mailed to Makenzie Hoff or Jeff Peters. We will continue to accept payment over the phone, or you can pay in the office via credit/debit, or check.

Please Call 509-698-7365 to schedule an inspection.

Although staff members will aid you with general questions about completing the forms, it is ultimately your responsibility to provide accurate information.​

NEW Home /Addition / Remodel (residential only) ** Must comply with 2018 International Building Codes**

New Building Packet

Building Permit

Footing and Foundation Building Guide
Plumbing Permit Site plan checklist Solar Checklist
Under Ground sprinkler Submittal Checklist Lot Coverage Calculation

Mechanical Permit

Energy Credits

Re Roof

Other Types of Permits

Required Principal Structure Setbacks from Property Lines

Zoning District









Front Yard Setback
20 feet
20 feet
20 feet
15 feet
15 feet
15 feet***
0 feet***
Side Yard Setback* (-)
10% of lot width with a 5 ft. minimum and 8 ft. maximum**
10% of lot width with a 5 ft. minimum and 8 ft. maximum**
10% of lot width with a 5 ft. minimum and 8 ft. maximum**
10% of lot width with a 5 ft. minimum and 8 ft. maximum**
10% of lot width with a 5 ft. minimum and 8 ft. maximum**
0 feet***
0 feet***
Rear Yard Setback(-)
20 feet
20 feet
20 feet
15 feet
0 feet
0 feet***
0 feet***
*Corner lots shall provide a side yard setback equal to the minimum required front yard setback. **Structures exceeding one story shall provide a minimum side yard setback of eight feet on each side of the structure.
***All lot boundaries abutting a residential zoning district shall be effectively sight-screened by a tight fence or wall or by a combination of fencing and landscaping except as limited by vision triangle requirements.

Commercial Projects   **Must comply with 2018 Building Code requirements**

Other Forms and Applications:

WORKING without a permit? You will be required to STOP work and fees will be doubled when a property owner or duly authorized agent has failed to obtain requisite permit approval prior to commencing development or use. (Ord. 1634 § 178, 2004.)



  1. One-story detached accessory buildings used as tool or storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the projected floor area does not exceed:120 square feet Commercial or 200 square feet Residential. ** Still required to meet standards for lot coverage, set backs, and zoning. Please call for further explanation **
Zoning District LDSFR-1R-2R-3B-1B-2M-1
Front Yard Setback20 feet20 feet20 feet15 feet15 feet15 feet0 feet
Side Yard Setback5 feet5 feet5 feet5 feet0 feet0 feet0 feet
Rear Yard Setback5 feet*5 feet*5 feet*5 feet*0 feet0 feet0 feet

*Accessory structures may extend to the rear lot line adjacent to any city-owned alley.

  1.  Fences not over 6 feet high (six feet in the side or rear yard area, and to a height not to exceed four feet in the front yard area) ** Still required to meet standards for lot coverage, set backs, and zoning. Please call for further explanation ** Other restrictions apply to corner lots.
  2.  Movable cases, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches tall.
  3.  Retaining walls, which are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding class I, II or II-A liquids. ** Still required to meet standards for set backs. Please call for further explanation **
  4.  Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops and similar finish work.
  5.  Window awnings in Group R-3 and U Occupancies, supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  6.  Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.
  7.  Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and ration of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  8.  Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one and two family dwellings.
  9.  Decks not exceeding 200 hundred square feet in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.

NOTE: Unless otherwise exempt, separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits will be required for the above-exempt items. Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.


Building Official: Jeff Peters Phone: 509-698-7367 or email

Building Inspector: Jeff Fortner Phone: 509-698-7365 or e-mail 

Planning Technician & Building Specialist: Makenzie Hoff Phone: 509-698-7365 or e-mail

Stormwater Compliance Officer: Erin Barnett Phone: 509-698-7331 or email

General: Typical Foundation/Roof Load Requirements:

Minimum Frost Depth – 24 inches

Earthquake Zone- 2

Seismic Area – C

Wind 110 mph, Exposure B

Ground and Snow load 30 pounds per square foot

Building drawings: These drawings are needed to indicate how the structure will be built. A floor plan showing, location of plumbing fixtures, ventilation fans, size and type of heating and cooling equipment, etc. No deferred submittals will be accepted. A completed 2018 Prescriptive Energy Code packet must also be included in each building permit application. Click here to visit the WSU Energy Program website for information and forms to complete the packet.

Site Plan: Show the configuration and size of the lot that the building will be placed on and set back distance from the structure(s) to the property lines so staff can check for encroachments on public utility easements, right-of-way and compliance of the required set backs. For accurate setback measurement you will need to locate and measure from your property pins. Do not use fences and other such structures as those might give you an inaccurate measurement. Contact the Planning Department for complete set back requirements for property zones. Site plans must be drawn to acceptable scale.

Managing Stormwater in Selah: On February 16, 2007, the Eastern Washington Phase II Municipal Stormwater Permit came into effect. Selah falls under the ruling of this  Phase II NPDES Permit and was required to create specific ordinances pertaining to Stormwater. Ordinance #1799 pertains to the design requirements for new development and for redevelopment, Selah Municipal Code (SMC) 9.23. The other Ordinance #1800, pertains to the control of sediment and erosion during construction (SMC) 9.24:

Residential project site plans must include a  Stormwater Sediment and Control Plan  and show Best Management Practices (BMP’s) that will be used on your construction site for sediment and erosion control.  This site plan must be submitted at the time of application with the other building documents. The plan will be reviewed, approved and inspected  by the Stormwater Compliance/Code Officer before construction can begin. During the construction phase of your project, regular construction site inspections will be made to ensure the plan is being followed and no sediment/water is being released off site.

NOTE: Any development that is (1) acre or larger will require a General Stormwater Permit through the Department of Ecology and a copy will need to be provided to the City prior to grading or movement of dirt. Visit the Washington State Department of Ecology (DOE) website for requirements and instructions on how to obtain the Construction Stormwater General Permit.

Review and Approval of Drawings: All building drawings/plans submitted for permitting purposes are reviewed through an outside consultant. Please see the coversheet on the building application packets for review and approval time of the drawings.  If corrections are requested (2) sets of corrected plans will be required to be re-submitted for review and compliance with code and additional review time will be needed. The Consultant Review fees will be included in the permit fees and will be due when permits are picked up.

Revisions: Any deviations from the approved plans, must have prior approval from the Building Department. All changes must be documented for the record.

Permits and Inspections: No building or structure regulated by this code shall be erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, improved, removed, converted or demolished unless a separate permit for each building or structure has first been obtained from the building official. All construction or work for which a permit is required shall be subject to inspection by the building official and all such construction or work shall remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes until approved by the building official. FOR YOUR PROTECTION inspections must be conducted throughout the building, plumbing, and mechanical construction process. (Lines must be placed at property pins at time of setback and footing inspections). After each inspection, the inspector will sign off each appropriate box on the back of the permit, which must be posted at the job site. Call (509) 698-7365/66 for an inspection appointment request.

Contractor Information: Washington State Law, RCW 18.27.110 requires that a contractor license number be on all building permits or work which is to be done by any contractor and that the contractor license number shall be verified. The contractor license number must be on the permit before it can be issued. All contractors working in the City of Selah must be registered to work in the City of Selah prior to issuance of a permit:

Call before you dig: Washington State Law required that before commencing any excavation of 12 inches or more, the excavator shall provide notice of the scheduled commencement of excavation to all owners of underground facilities through a one-number locator service. Failure to do so and which results in damaged utility can be costly to the excavator. Therefore, the one-call number for the Upper Yakima Valley Utilities Locate Center is 1-800-553-4344 or 811. This is a free call and no cost is required for the locate, and a 48 hour notice is required.

You can avoid unnecessary permit delays by carefully providing all required information. You may disregard items that do not address your particular building.