Overview: The City of Selah is seeking to hire a Chief of Police. This is a full-time permanent, exempt, non-represented position. The anticipated start date for this position is October 15, 2020 or as early as the best candidate is identified. A complete job description can be found here:
Job Summary: The Police Chief receives supervision from and reports to the Mayor and/or their designee. Their primary responsibility is to manage the proper administration and operation of the City Police Department. The Chief of Police would be responsible for supervising 18 other employees, including the Deputy Chief, four Sergeants, 10 Officers, a Clerk, a Community Services Specialist, and an Animal Control Officer. The new chief would need to promptly hire 2 police officers, whose positions are currently vacant.
Minimum Requirements: Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- High School diploma or G.E.D. is required.
- Must have worked in the position Police Sergeant, or higher, within the last 12 months at a Washington Agency, no smaller in scope and size than the City of Selah.
- Must not have had any disciplinary action resulting in removal, suspension, demotion or discharge within the previous three years.
Training, Licensing, or Certifications:
- Must obtain a certificate of successful completion of the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission for Command College with-in two (2) years of appointment.
- It is recommended persons holding this office also attend the FBI’s National Academy.
Application & Interview Process: For your application to be considered, an Employment Application must be completed; an attached resume and cover letter are optional. All applications should be delivered to City Hall (115 West Naches Ave, Selah, WA 98942) by or before Monday August 31, 2020 at 5:00pm to be included in the first review. Questions regarding the application process, job duties, compensation, or benefits should be directed to the Human Resource Manager, Andrew Potter, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (509) 609-7330. Interviews are anticipated to be held mid-September.
Salary: The starting annual compensation range for this position is $94,910 — $105,456 dependent upon qualifications.