The City of Selah is seeking to hire a Public Works Utility Worker. This is a full-time permanent, non-exempt, represented position. The anticipated start date for this position is June 15, 2019 or earlier.
Under the direction of the Utility Supervisor and Utility Lead, the Utility Worker is responsible for all aspects of the operations, maintenance, and preventative maintenance of City facilities. Additionally, they must understand and follow all policies, procedures, and safety aspects of public works systems. The following gives an example of some of their duties:
- Install water systems, conduct operations and maintenance procedures including, but not limited to water mains, services, fire hydrants, meters, valves, control valves, pumps, chlorination systems, reservoirs, etc.
- Install sanitary and storm sewer systems, operation and maintenance procedures including, but not limited to, mains and interceptors, services manholes, catch basins and cleanouts, etc.
- Complete roads and street construction, operation and maintenance procedures including, but not limited to, concrete and asphalt pavements, curbs, gutters, pothole and crack repair, sweeping aggregate surface, blading, shoulders, roadsides, signs, lights and traffic signals.
- Reads meters and maintains the area around meters and assure meter boxes are clean of dirt, debris and water.
Here is a complete Job Description.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be: A high school diploma and 2 years public works, construction, roadway, sewer, or water operations experience. Applicants must possess or obtain the following:
- Possession of valid Washington State Driver’s License.
- Possession of Water Distribution Specialist I, issued in the State of Washington, or obtain within one (1) year of appointment.
- Possession of Commercial Driver’s License, or obtain within one (1) year of appointment.
- Possession of First Aid/CPR certificate, or obtain within six (6) months of employment.
A Class II, or better, Wastewater Collection Certificate issued in the State of Washington is desirable.
For your application to be considered, an Employment Application must be completed; an attached resume and cover letter are optional. All applications must be delivered to City Hall (115 West Naches Ave, Selah, WA 98942) by or before Wednesday May 15, 2018 at 5:00pm. Questions regarding the application process, job duties, compensation, or benefits should be directed to the Human Resource Manager, Andrew Potter, at email@example.com or by calling (509) 698-7330.
The compensation for this position is currently $4,023 – 5,063 a month, depending on previous experience and certification. Here is the Teamsters Local Union #760 – Public Works & Parks Agreement 2019-2023 which outlines the compensation and benefits offered for this position.